The Vitamin A Peel
Acne, breakouts, oily skin, uneven texture, dull skin, fine lines, blackheads and congested skin
The vitamin A peel is a non-acid peel, and behaves differently than traditional acid-based peels. It delivers a concentrated dose of Retinaldehyde (Vitamin A) to the skin, resulting in a multitude of benefits for the skin including:
- a dramatic increase in cell turnover, to the degree that most of our clients experience mild to moderate flaking of the outer layers of skin following this treatment. The skin cells are renewing at such a rate that dull, keratinised cells on the surface are literally pushed off by new cells coming through.
- lightening of pre-existing pigmentation on the skin, leading to a more even skin tone (this is due to the increased cell turnover)
- reduced and balanced oil production in the skin, resulting in a reduction of breakouts, and congestion/blackheads
- lightening of PIH(post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation) - the residual red/pink/brown pigment that can sit in the skin for long periods of time following breakouts.
- overall strengthening of the skin and reduction in sensitivity
- increased collagen production leading to firmer skin and reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
What is the downtime?
Most of our clients experience mild to moderate flaking/peeling after this treatment. This normally begins on the second day after the peel, and continues for 2-4 days. Some clients do not peel.
Every four weeks is usually the optimal time frame between vitamin A peels, and we typically recommend to do a course of 3 or more, for best results.
Is there any discomfort?
A very mild tingling sensation can sometimes be felt during the treatment, but not always. The peel involves a lot of massage (to increase absorption of the vitamin A) so it is very relaxing.
Can I wear makeup afterward?
We recommend to leave the skin clean for the rest of the day/evening following the vitamin A peel, and to use only mineral makeup if possible, for the week after the treatment to avoid any irritation.